Wednesday 9 April 2014

Cindy Beale clips make me cringe

Michelle Collins has admitted that she 'cringes' when she watches her old EastEnders clips, but would still be open to reprising the role of Cindy Beale for a one-off comedy sketch.

The actress, who played Cindy on and off between 1988 and 1998, has recently been presented with footage of the character's most memorable moments while promoting her new autobiography This Is Me.
Cindy is also still mentioned on screen in EastEnders with her children Lucy, Peter and Cindy Junior currently on Albert Square, though Lucy will be killed off next week.

Speaking to Digital Spy, Collins commented: "I think it was 17 years ago she actually died, but they do tend to talk about her a lot - I suppose because Ian Beale is such a massive character, isn't he?

"I feel so far removed from it. Because I'm promoting the book, lots of people have been playing [clips] and it makes me cringe, actually. I think, 'Oh my God, I was terrible, I can't bear to listen to my voice!' I can't bear to watch it!

"I just think, 'Oh, I wish I could do it all again now'. It was a long time ago and I just feel, 'I'm not sure about that'. I am my worst critic, but I don't like hearing the sound of my voice at all. Especially when she's saying, 'Oh Ian!'"
As Cindy died off screen, fans have often suggested that she could somehow make a shock return to Walford in the future - especially in the wake of Collins's recent departure from Coronation Street as Stella Price.

Collins added: "It would be interesting, actually, because I was asked to do a Children in Need sketch where Ian gets knocked over the head, gets a head injury, wakes up and Cindy's there. I really wanted to do it, but I wasn't allowed to do it because I was working. 

"That would have been really good fun, to have just gone back for a moment to play Cindy again. But I don't know if I'd even know how to play Cindy again - it feels like it was a very different person. I'm not in Corrie [now], so maybe I can do it next time!"

Michelle Collins: This Is Me is out now in hardback.

No comments:

Post a Comment