Wednesday 2 April 2014

Danny-Boy Hatchard on Lee role, Danny Dyer and army story

EastEnders fans can expect more intrigue involving the Carter clan next week as Mick and Linda's eldest son Lee hides a secret after joining Albert Square.

Lee has been away serving as a soldier in Afghanistan, but after a few days back with his family, it soon becomes clear that he doesn't want to go back to the army.

Digital Spy recently chatted to Danny-Boy Hatchard, who plays Lee, to get the lowdown on Walford's latest newcomer.

How does it feel to have joined the cast?
"It's such an honour to join such an amazing show and be part of a great family. Even now I'm still trying to get to grips with it. When I'm doing scenes with the other actors I'm thinking, 'Oh God, it was only a couple of months ago that I was watching you on my telly!' To now be working with them is mad!"

Was it a long audition process?
"It was quite short, actually - I don't know why! I'd like to think that they made the decision quite quickly! (Laughs.) I went in for one audition after being sent a script. It was a nice script and I was glad about that, because in the past I've been to auditions where the scripts haven't really given me something I can work with, which can be frustrating.

"With EastEnders, they gave me two audition scenes that I could really stick my teeth into. I made sure that I knew the scenes really well, so I could go off-script in the audition and I also tried to come in with some new ideas. I wanted to bring an interesting take on Lee."

What happened next?
"After the audition, they recalled me to do a scene with Danny Dyer. Kellie Bright was there too. When I found out that they'd both be there, I knew that I definitely had to go in and give it my all. I knew straight away that me and Danny would get on, because we're from the same place and he's like one of my own.

"I walked in there and we did get on really well. Me and Danny chucked a bit of banter each other's way and had a bit of a giggle, and then we did the scene together. I'd like to think that we did the scene quite well and we had good chemistry, because it worked out. You can only do your best, but it was nice to finally be right for something."

What can the fans expect from Lee?"Cheekiness! He's got a lot of front, he's a ladies' man and he loves his family. Lee also likes to be centre of attention and make people laugh - he's the type of person to draw a crowd. He's also quite competitive, so when he has a game of pool, he has to make sure that he wins!

"Lee's main priority when he comes back is getting his way about with the ladies, because obviously he's been deprived of that since he's been in the army."

In your first week on screen, it's clear straight away that Lee is hiding a secret about why he doesn't want to return to the army. Were you pleased with his introductory storyline?
"Yes, I was very pleased. In the same way it was with the auditions, it was really nice to get my teeth stuck into something. As actors, we all love to be part of something which will really get the audience thinking. To represent the boys out in Afghanistan is an honour. It's magical to be able to do something like this, so I'm thoroughly, thoroughly enjoying it."

Did you do any research into the army and life out in Afghanistan?
"I did, but there's only so much research you can do. You can only watch so many YouTube clips and read so many articles online. I really wanted to experience it first-hand and have the opportunity to ask the boys some questions about what it's like out there, so that way I could hear some real truths from them.

"The EastEnders team arranged with the MOD for me to go to the barracks and I learnt about weapons and bombs and searching for IEDs [improvised explosive devices]. They also did a full-on role-play session for me, where a boy got injured and I had to drag him back to the medics. I was also able to ask the boys some quite personal questions which they were very open about answering, because obviously they want me to do a good job of representing them.

"This really helped me to develop Lee's character much more, because there's an edge to these boys after they've seen things that people can only begin to imagine."
Lee also sleeps with Lucy Beale shortly after joining Walford. Is this just a one-off?"Well, it could have developed into something more if Lucy didn't get murdered! (Laughs.)"

Have the producers given you much of an idea of the long-term plans for Lee?
"All I know at the moment is all of the scenes that I've shot so far. I'm sure EastEnders have plans for me, but I don't know what they are! As long as it's entertaining for an audience, that's the main thing and you've got to have faith in what they're doing.

"Everything so far has revolved around Lee coming back to his family and the reasons why he's back…"

Who have you shared most of your screen time with so far?
"So far I've been filming a lot of scenes with the other Carters - especially with Mick. It would be nice to have more scenes with his brother and sister, just to see their relationships blossom a little bit more. I'd love some scenes with Dot Cotton too!"

You had great success on stage in Beautiful Thing, but this is your first TV role. How have you found making that transition?
"It's honestly crazy! When you're in drama school, you're honestly just another number and when you're in an acting class, it all just seems a bit surreal until you get out there and actually experience it for yourself. My first job was Beautiful Thing, so it was great that it was such a success. I worked with fantastic people and an amazing director.

"After Beautiful Thing, I really wanted to make sure that my next project was a step up from that. I can't think of anything better than coming into EastEnders - I'm truly overwhelmed. I honestly thought that I'd find it difficult to make that step up."

Will you watch your first episode when it goes out?
"I will be watching! I haven't really thought about it in terms of plans, but I think my mum and dad will probably want to be with me when I watch it. I'm probably going to organise something where we watch it together."

No comments:

Post a Comment