Friday 4 April 2014

Jessie Wallace to take time away from soap?!

Jessie Wallace has explained her decision to take time away from the soap for an upcoming musical role.

As announced last year, the actress has landed the part of Lil in a revival of Fings Ain't Wot They Used T'Be, which begins a month-long run at the Theatre Royal Stratford East in May.
Wallace has been granted a short break from her role as EastEnders' Kat Moon to rehearse for the play. She is then expected to film a handful of EastEnders scenes once the run itself begins.

Speaking about the impact on EastEnders, Wallace told ITV's This Morning today (April 4): "Well, I sort of disappear for a little while. We've got a month of rehearsals, so I disappear for about a month and I think I go in [to EastEnders] for the odd day during the run, which is May 8 to June 8."

She continued: "I think if you're playing the same character for so long, you do need to step away from it sometimes - and Dominic Treadwell-Collins, the executive producer of EastEnders, kindly let me out to do Fings Ain't Wot They Used T'Be.

"I was so eager to do it, because it's such a classic piece set in 1959, with music written by Lionel Bart, directed by Terry Johnson who I'm a huge fan of, and a great cast. I just had to do it because I'm so excited.

"I love things that are challenging. It's a great role. It's the sort of role that I'm comfortable playing, but [it's] working with a new cast and new director, to push the boundaries. You can never stop learning as an actor."

Asked by show host Eamonn Holmes whether she can sing, Wallace replied: "Yeah, otherwise I wouldn't be in it! I did Marie Lloyd for the BBC, which was set in a music hall, and I played Maureen in Rent.

"Also I sing a lot with my partner Tim and his band. I've had quite a bit of experience, so that's a great springboard for playing Lil for Fings."

Fings Ain't Wot They Used T'Be, which also stars Gary Kemp, centres around cockneys in the 1950s, including spivs, prostitutes and corrupt policemen.

No comments:

Post a Comment