Saturday 22 March 2014

Ann Mitchell: 'We need to make acting less elitist'

Ann Mitchell as criticised the acting industry's "elitist" attitudes.

The Stepney-born 74-year-old made the comments during a visit to the University of East London's Stratford campus earlier this week.
According to the Newham Recorder, Mitchell told students: "What is happening at the moment is very frightening.

"Very few young men and women from working class backgrounds are applying for drama school because they are petrified that they will not be able to pay back their loans.

"From when I was a child and I was watching the movies I was determined that I would be there representing my people and my background," she explained. "I was very aware of being patronised [with stereotypes] as a child."

Of her character in the BBC soap, Mitchell added: "Cora, whether you love her or loathe her, she's someone that you'd like in your corner, just like the women I grew up with.

"I wanted to bring a kind of glamour that the women had in my background and lose the stereotypes because they came from the upper classes."

EastEnders continues on Monday (March 24) at 8pm on BBC One.

No comments:

Post a Comment