Wednesday 26 March 2014

Dyer: 'I get stereotyped unlike posh boy Cumberbatch'

Danny Dyer has hit out at "snobbery" within showbiz circles and said that he struggles with "playing the game".

The EastEnders actor revealed that he feels stars such as Benedict Cumberbatch are taken more seriously than him, despite his acting background.

He told Woman magazine: "You've got actors like Benedict Cumberbatch - a great actor, but he's a posh boy playing posh boys. He does it well, and he doesn't get mocked for that.

"I play working class people, and I get mocked for it. I'm stereotyped, he's not. I've done plays at the National Theatre, come off stage and gone into the bar and I ain't got nothing in common with those people.

"When it comes to playing the game, I'm rubbish. The middle-class actors are better prepped at working the system, because they've got more in common with the decision makers."

Dyer, who plays Queen Vic landlord Mick Carter in EastEnders, also revealed that the show's bosses have asked him to tone down his remarks on Twitter now that he is working for the BBC.
He said: "I sat down with the producers of EastEnders and the Twitter thing was one of their main worries. But they have to understand that they've brought me into the show for my brand and there's a side effect of that.

"They're taking a risk with me and that's what's going to make it exciting. It's tough landing as high profile [a job] as EastEnders because I have to be me but dumbed down, and I don't do that very well."

Dyer's magazine interview today sparked one tabloid report which suggested that he was already in trouble with 'hostile' show bosses over his Twitter persona, but an EastEnders spokesperson told Digital Spy that there is no truth in the claims.

Producers previously publicly supported the actor after he hit back at homophobic remarks on Twitter surrounding his on-screen son's sexuality storyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment